Monday, 5 June 2017

Inida Knight is right - the school exam system does punish creative free thinkers - the mark systems are too stringent and don't reward innovative thinking.

Inida Knight is right - the school exam system does punish creative free thinkers - the mark systems are too stringent and don't reward innovative thinking.


Fantastic article by Inida Knight in yesterday's Sunday Times magazinehttps://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/india-knight-why-i-hate-exam-season-rm6xbzbfs . I corrorabte her opinion and have written about struggling with ennui whilst at secondary/grammar school here: http://adamhenry16.blogspot.co.uk/…/angst-ennui-weltschmerz…

Part of the reason I didn't want to study or do my homework till A-level was that I found what we were learning was boring (or at least the way it was taught) and it frustrated me that  the mark systems didn't tolerate creative thinking - in order to gain marks you had to stick to what was on the mark system. My Home Economics GCSE teacher explained this to me - but I thought this was silly when there was so much more other research available on the topics we were studying. Learning facts in a "Parrot" like fashion is necessary to become a GP for example, law or medicine is often what parents of academic children aspire for them - my parents both going to medical school along with my grandad and uncle (who all studied at Queens Univetsity Belfast), and two cousins in law (both studied at Trimity College Dublin) made these options seem unappealing to me or to be brutally honest it didn't seem like "that big of a deal" to me. But unless we are commended for creative thinking how are new discoveries in medicine (or any other profession) ever meant to come about? We never move forward or evolve by sticking to what we are taught to it is the people who think outside the box, the inventors and the innovators that inspire us and help society evolve and move civilization forwards.


P.S I am still continuing with my “Dance Story” and am working on my opinion regarding Islam etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your opinion!